May 23, 2009

Homework Is Fun

I have an aesthetically challenged commuter car that has seen better days. He has one job... to ensure I get to work and back in a timely manner, a job he does reliably. However, a couple times a week I let him work from home. Transporting me to my home office allows him to remain in the comfort of his own garage without so much as lifting a piston. But, just between you and me, he doesn't really get much done at home.

Lately he has had company, the Brat-Mobile sitting idly along-side. When weather permits, Cristy rides her bike to work (2 miles to the local Middle School) so neither of our gas-burning, globe-warming, hunks-of-foreign-made-metal ever sees daylight. At the end of the day this contributes to our feeling of modern cultural and environmental responsibility, a prideful bit of satisfaction as we sit down to our evening meal of locally grown produce and free range chicken.

It all sounds so progressive, conscientious, and (dare I say) political. The truth is less profound; I'm guided mostly by my taste buds and my couch-potatoiness. Not to mention that it's great fun to stand in the driveway in the morning sun, wave to my wife and three kids riding off on their bikes, and say "Have a great day at school!".

Then I'm off to work... saving the planet in my pajamas.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic start at blogging my friend...you have a gift of gab. I will subscribe.
    Your friend,
    Laura Crowley Vanderhye

    ReplyDelete