April 18, 2009

Resession Proof

I went grocery shopping early this morning when shelves are stocked and traffic is light. Our budget is tight, we're under a self-imposed "spending freeze" in an attempt to re-balance our personal finances set off-kilter recently by a changing economy. It's not that we're making less money, but we're definitely worth less and are anxious about where things are headed. We're under strict fiscal lock-down (guided by my wife, the bookkeeper) to regain our footing in advance of what might come.

The store's floral department is just inside the front door and greets all customers. Today, I'm guessing, the Tulip truck broke down out back and unloaded its entire cargo. The sea of color and dizzying variety stopped me in my tracks. Tulips are my wife's favorite... and it's not uncommon for me to arrive home with a carload of groceries and a fist full of flowers. A beautiful bouquet of 20 Tulips (did I mention they are Cristy's favorite) was only $9.99.

She was very surprised. When I arrived home I said, "Dear... I did two wonderful things for you today and I want to tell you about them both. The first is that I picked out a gorgeous bouquet of Tulips, the most incredible you've ever seen, at the store for you."

"That's wonderful", she replied! "You're such a thoughtful and loving husband. What's the other thing you did for me?"

"I didn't buy them", I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment